Recipe:Fresh Cheese Boursin Style
Revision as of 19:58, 2 January 2015 by Gafioso
This is a cheese made without rennet. Instead, it uses yoghurt culture (or kefir).
What you need:
- Two liters of fresh milk
- 4 tablespoons of fresh full mlk yoghurt
- two cloves of garlic
- fresh chives (schnittlauch)
- Big bowl that can go into the oven
- bowl to contain dripping whey
- wooden spoon
- kitchen towel (cloth, not paper)
- cheese linen
How to make the cheese
- Day 1: stir the yoghurt into the milk. Cover with a wet kitchen towel and leave to stand for two days in a warm spot (25-35 degrees). After two days, a sort of crust will have formed, it looks a bit like the battered face of the moon, that is normal.
- Day 3: Preheat the oven to 110 degrees Celsius. Put the bowl with the milk into the oven for 30 minutes.
- Poor the contents of the bowl into a cheesecloth that you put over a second bowl. Leave to drip for 12 hours or overnight in a cool place.
- Day 4: Season the cheese to taste with the herbs. You might use sweet bell pepper powder instead, or hot pepper, or whatever takes your fancy. You can eat the cheese now, in its creemy form, or proceed to the next step if you want it a bit more crumbly.
- Take a clean, dry kitche towel. Fold it in half. Shape your cheese into a disk, put a few fresh semary twigs on top. Put it onto the towel, then fold the towel over and around the cheese. Put the parcel between two plates and leave the towel to absorb more whey during 12 hours. Then put your cheese into an airtight container. It will keep for two weeks in the fridge.